Upcoming Events – Click for more info
Great Day at the Georgia Capitol for “Keep Georgia Wild” day. Thank you to Jody Allgood for always keeping our table looking great. We were especially pleased to have as our guest this year, Sheila Goffe, Vice President of Government Affairs for the American Kennel Club.
Thank you Congressman Austin Scott for a great meeting.
Today is National Purebred Dog Day. And while we value all days, the Purpose Breed Dog that has worked along side of us, and been our companions deserve to be recognized. Below is the Resolution sponsored by Senator Ellis Black naming May 1 PureBred Dog Day at the Georgia Capitol. I encourage all of you to appreciate your Purebred Dog on this day.
Senate Resolution 476
By: Senator Black of the 8th
LC 119 0531
• 1 Commending the benefits and contributions of purebred dogs to the State of Georgia and
• 2 recognizing May 1 as Georgia Purebred Dog Day at the state capitol; and for other purposes.
• 3 WHEREAS, dedicated individuals in Georgia breed dogs to develop unique and predictable
• 4 characteristics that enable dogs to excel in a wide range of beneficial areas; and
• 5 WHEREAS, purebred dogs are living legacies of the cultures that created them and
• 6 historically these dogs worked alongside their people and provided them companionship; and
• 7 WHEREAS, today, the service of these breeds continues as they work alongside humans and
• 8 provide inestimable companionship while serving as guide dogs, service dogs, conservation
• 9 dogs, livestock guardians, search and rescue dogs, earth dogs, police dogs, canine soldiers
• 10 serving by the sides of our military men and women, and ultimately as guardians of family,
• 11 home, and hearth; and
• 12 WHEREAS, purebred dogs have been of enormous help to medical science, serving as
• 13 models for many heritable human diseases, playing a role in humanity’s understanding of the
• 14 human and canine genomes, and benefiting pharmaceutical research and development; and
• 15 WHEREAS, purebred dogs are working dogs, serving as avalanche dogs, trackers and
• 16 trailers, herders, controllers of vermin, water rescuers, carting and sled dogs, retrievers,
• 17 protectors, hunters, and bird dogs, and always they are the heartbeat of a companion near and
• 18 dear to humans; and
• 19 WHEREAS, all dogs should be valued, whatever their ancestry, but the purpose-bred dog
• 20 and the predictability of its breed ought to be cherished and preserved; and
• 21 WHEREAS, each breed is indelibly etched into the history of the culture that created it just
• 22 as deeply as that culture’s music, art, and language; and
• 23 WHEREAS, it is abundantly fitting and proper to recognize the outstanding contributions of
• 24 purebred dogs to this state.
• 25 NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE that the members of this body
• 26 commend the benefits and contributions of purebred dogs, express gratitude toward those
• 27 who breed and raise purebred dogs for the benefit of society, and recognize May 1 as
• 28 Georgia Purebred Dog Day at the state capitol.
• 29 BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Secretary of the Senate is authorized and directed
• 30 to make appropriate copies of this resolution available for distribution to the public and the
• 31 press.